Support LANMonkey via Patreon

Become a Patron! Please check out the fantastic perks of being a Patron by clicking the "Become a Patron" button above! Thank-you to our Patrons: Catches Her Arm, Anonymous, Mark Dowding, Mark Kavanaugh, Liane Scott, Scott & Jessie, & Valaina Maher!

Wednesday 29 April 2015

A Cookie Comes Home...

You may have heard that last week I was down at the Lilypad (Geocaching.com HQ) for a tour and to record some interviews for Caching In the Northwest. What you may not have heard is the neat story of the trackable I brought home.

Many of us have sent out trackables, and help others along their "missions" and for the most part, we really don't know what happens to them. Some arrive at their intended destinations after many detours, and many just "disappear."

This story is about a trackable "cookie" that went on an exciting worldwide adventure, and then through a series of coincidences made it's way back home again - and I'm so excited to have played a small part in making that happen.

Local geocachers may know Dave The Best (the guy who gets everyone's attention at CITOs and Flashmobs?) - well he's the owner of the "COOKIE!" trackable. In his story I've copied below for you to read, I'm the "fellow cacher" he was Tweeting with who brought "COOKIE" home for Dave.

Dave tells this story so well, that I'll quote him instead of retelling it myself:

"On April 28 2014, I dropped this a cache in Cuba. It was then picked up and traveled all around the world to Austria, Slovakia, Cyprus, Poland, France, Germany, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Portugal, Luxembourg, Japan, and Belgium, before being brought back to North America and dropped in the Groundspeak HQ cache. 
On April 21, 2015, I noticed a fellow cacher post on social media about heading down to the HQ. Less than an hour later, I get a notification that my TB was dropped off there. I tweeted at the cacher asking him to pick it up, and he replies with a picture of my TB! Today we met up at a CITO and I got my trackable back after it's long adventure around the world. 

This is such a fun game, and so many different things can happen. When I released this into the wild, I never set any goals; I just wanted it to travel from cache to cache, and see where it went. I think it's a super cool story that it traveled the world and then came back to me. 

Thank you for discovering my TB, and don't forget to be awesome!"

I thought you might enjoy hearing a happy tale of a TB coming home after a world-wide adventure. If you have interesting TB stories to share feel free to post them to our Facebook Page!

And remember:
Cache safely, and cache often!
The LANMonkeys

No comments:

Post a Comment